Prevention and treatment
How is it treated?
Treatment of atrial fibrillation involves controlling the heart rate and preventing embolisms.
1. Controlling the heart rate is necessary so as to reduce the number of atrial fibrillation crises and to lower the heart rate during such crises, is carried out by:
- Antiarrhythmic drugs
- Atrial fibrillation ablation
- Controlling risk factors (arterial hypertension, sleep apnoea, endurance exercise, thyroid function, diabetes, among others)
- Limiting stimulants such as alcohol, coffee or tea.
2. The prevention of embolisms consists in avoiding the formation of blood clots within the atriums in high risk patients by using anticoagulant drugs.